- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), half the liquid reserved
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tahina
- 1 tsp salt (add gradually to taste as some canned bean can be salty)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp toasted cumin seed
- Pour garbanzo beans into food processor, reserving about a tablespoon for garnish. Place lemon juice, tahina, 1 tbsp of oil, garlic and salt in blender. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
- Taste the dip. Add additional tahina, lemon juice, salt or pepper, if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium serving bowl. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top. Garnish with toasted cumin and the reserved garbanzo beans.
- Serve as a dip with pita bread, cut vegetables crudites or chips. If you prefer a cold dip, chill in the refrigerator prior to garnish. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.