Gong Xi Fatt Chai!
Happy Lunar New Year Tom everyone!
Here is our take on the lacquer-coloured and aromatic crispy roast duck to inspire you for the Chinese New Year reunion dinner or any meal, made with our latest offering, the Ginger and Garlic Salt.
Finally, a fool-proof roast duck recipe!
Roasted Aromatic Asian Style Duck
Quick and Easy Recipe with Athene Spices
1 whole duck (approx. 2.5kg), defrosted
3 whole star anise
3 cinnamon stick
1 lemongrass, smashed
Glaze / Sauce
1 tsp Athene Spices Ginger Garlic Salt
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp chili sauce
½ cup honey
1 tsp sesame oil
1. Trim and clean the duck, carefully remove the oil glands from the tail area.
2. Spatchcock the duck by cutting along the backbone and flattening the whole duck with the palm of your hand.
3. Pat completely dry with paper towel inside and out. Rub Athene Spices Ginger Garlic Salt all over the duck.
4. Place the duck with skin side up in a pot, place the star anise, cinnamon and lemongrass in the pot too.
5. Cover with enough boiling water to keep the duck immersed, bring the pot to boil.
6. Gently simmer with the lid on, until the duck is cooked through, approx. 35 minutes.
7. Mix all the ingredients for the glaze/sauce in a bowl.
8. Remove the duck from the pot, the residual heat will steam up and dry off any remaining liquid on the duck.
9. Generously brush ½ of the glaze all over the duck, both on the skin and bone sides.
10. Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
11. Place the duck in the fridge for about 10 minutes to thicken and dry up the glaze so it won’t burn easily.
12. Place the duck on a roasting rack, place a tray underneath to catch the dripping fat.
13. Roast for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown.
14. Remove the duck from the oven, cover and rest it for 10 minutes before serving.
15. To make the sauce, add some hot water to the remaining glaze to thin it.
16. Sprinkle with Athene Spices Shichimi Togarashi and garnish with spring onion and red chili. Serve with the sauce on the side.
• Removing the oil gland is important as leaving them intact may give the dish some unpleasant taste and smell.
• Washing duck with some lime/lemon juice and salt will also help reduce the gamey smell that a lot of people are adverse to.
#athenespices #gingergarlicsalt #shichimitogarashi #gourmetsalt #gourmetspices #cny #artisanspices #roastduck #cookingmadeeasy #lazycookdeliciousfood #cooklikeachef #duckrecipe #eatwelllivewell #eatwellathome #lazycook #foodiesofinstagram #foodporn